One of the first and hardest part of starting to design a site is to get the color scheme. The scheme can come from a number of places. For example:
- A site you want to imitate
- A photo you want to include in the site – for instance in the header
You can then pull colors from the photo
- A holiday – certain holidays have color associated with them. Halloween has black and orange, Christmas has red and green, etc.
- A profession – for instance the medical profession tends to favor blues
No matter where you get your inspiration, it is good to have a few tools to help you. I recently ran across a page that lists a number of these tools:
I’ve included the most valuable tools, from my perspective, here:
- Original Color Mixer
- Color Scheme Generators
- Cool Flickr Photo Picker
This isn’t technically a color scheme picker, but it’s cool 🙂
- Visibone Color Lab
- I Like Your Colors Grabs colors from the web page you specify
That’s it – if you have any others you think should be on this list, let me know and I’ll add them.